Sunday, November 19, 2006

Awake

When my first daughter was a month old or so I remember reading a post on my new mommies board from a woman who was clearly delusional. She explained how she treasured the nighttime wakings and feedings and would miss them when they were gone. The words treasure, gaze, and bond appeared. It was a Hallmark post, dripping of saccharine.

I remembered that just now as I got up with Baby M. It is 4:30 a.m. and she is nursing. I adore my little one. I do. But for the record, when these night wakings are over, I will not miss them. What I treasure right now are eight unbroken hours of sleep.

4 comments:

OvaGirl said...

I think I agree with you here. I try and tell myself those 4am feedings are special precious time but I can't help feeling it's my special precious time which I would prefer to spend sleeping. I've done that feed in bed thing where you lie down on your side and just attach to boob and then you both just go to sleep but that only works some times because he snacks and wakes again sooner than if I fed him properly and put him in his own bed.

I feel your pain re the deadline of your book. It's so hard trying to snatch those writing times out of your day. I have various writing deadlines too (and a messy house)and sometimes feel bad because I want to just relax and be with the baby. But I don't have a hellish publisher (what a cow!) nor do I have a toddler, so you win there.

Em said...

Ah yes, the mama pig and piglet feeding position. We sometimes do that one. The problem is that she'll fall asleep still latched on and then startle awake. This, of course, applied torque where one least wants it.

Hope you are staying ahead of those deadlines and enjoying your boy.

AmyinMotown said...

Heee, Em, I dooooo believe I remember that post if it's from the board we were both on. If you remember the poster, shoot me an email, I'm sure I do too. "A Hallmark post"--love, it stealing it!

Em said...

Amy-yes, it was our board. I can't remember who posted that, but i do remember thinking there was something very wrong with her. Do you? Do I have your email?