Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Conflicted no more

On Friday, I tested with one of my cheap, internet pregnancy tests. To my surprise, there was a faint second girly-pinky-purplish line. I was, of course, wary of the cheap test, so I went to Target and bought expensive tests. Saturday morning, I tested again, this time with the expensive brand. It was negative. Very negative. No amount of squinting, holding it to the light, turning it just so, or retrieving it from the trashcan just to take another look was going to make a second line appear. I repeated the exercise with another internet cheapie and it was equally negative. My period started in the wee hours of the next morning.

So, I'm not pregnant, but judging from how many times I dug through the trash to fish out the faintly positive test and then the very negative tests, I'm not ready to give up on it just yet. Despite the fears about finances and energy, I still feel like our little family could do with one more. And J seems to agree. Last week, when I suggested that we might be at the end of our family expansion, he looked pained and said, "I hear that adding a third isn't nearly as hard as adding a second." Tell that to my ovaries, buddy.

The last six years of my life have been centered around trying to conceive. RE visits, Clomid, Femara, injections, suppositories, IUIs, FSH from hell, the frantic search for cm during natural cycles, charting, analyzing every twinge, sex during LH surges, worrying, and worrying more. I'm done with that.

So, yes, we will continue to try, but I think we are also going to live a little. It is time for a kinder gentler trying, one that includes wine, soft cheese and caffeine, all in moderation, even through the dreadful two-week-wait. I'll still use ovulation kits and probably chart to confirm ovulation since my RE and OB have agreed that I need progesterone support, but that is it.

I'll probably be a madwoman in a few weeks, but right now I feel pretty peaceful about our new approach.

4 comments:

Nico said...

I'm sorry about the almost positive. I had the same experience with the internet cheapies the one cycle I tested early, although in my case I got a more expensive test the same day it was totally negative. I never could decide if it was a chemical or if the internet cheapies really do have false positives. In any case, I'm sorry that this cycle wasn't it for you, but I hope that one of the next ones is, soon. I love your kinder gentler approach. and I'm glad you're not so conflicted.

christine said...

It sounds like a most excellent plan and one I will probably adopt as well.

OvaGirl said...

And it's my plan too Em. I've enjoyed all kinds of no nos since the FET failure. Just trying to live a little now. Resting and enjoying what I do have and then thinking more about it towards end of year.

I'm sorry it didn't work out Em but I hope the peace of mind continues.

Bittermama said...

I'm catching up after a long absence. I'm sorry for the loss. But happy to hear that you're in a good place about trying for a third!