Thursday, March 08, 2007

High School Reunion

My 20 year high school reunion is coming up this year. I am somewhat ambivalent about attending. I never even considered going to my 10 year reunion, probably because I could still remember why I hated most of those people. But now, I am oddly tempted to attend. Why? I think I'm just feeling curious about how my classmates have turned out. Is Trevor really obese now? Is Christie still an alcoholic? Were these people as horrible as I remember?

The event isn't until October, so I have time. I know this: If I do decide to go, I must look better than I look right now. Sure it is vain, but I don't want to be the one who is really showing her age.

I also must lose this weight by then. Why, why is it so stubborn? Why, why am I always so hungry? I honestly think breastfeeding is the culprit. Not only is it not sparing poor M from a series of ear infections and colds, but it is making me fat.

Also, I'll have to grow my hair a bit. I cut it off a few months ago and I'm wearing a short crop. On one hand, it is easy. On the other hand, it only looks good for a week after a cut and then it looks dreadful. I think my stylist isn't good with short hair, but I hate to leave her because we are from the same hometown and because she is very pregnant and freaking about money. Maybe I'll leave her while she is on maternity leave. That would be very awful wouldn't it? Anyway, I am thinking that if I start growing it now, maybe I can get it to a just below the earlobe bob by October.

My face needs some TLC, too. I'm not normally one for cosmetic treatments, but I think I would consider teeth whitening and some restylane.

Clearly, I am seriously considering attending. Have you ever attended a reunion? Was it fun or just sad?

2 comments:

Eggs Akimbo said...

I am still breastfeeding and I get really hungry. I am also convinced it is why I have my love handles! I habe a wedding in three weeks and I feel I need to crash diet!

Anonymous said...

Em~
I actually have attended 3 reunions~ one of my own and 2 of my husband's (he is a few years older than me LOL), and things went pretty well. I found mine to be interesting~although I went to a very small school and only had about 20 classmates~ only 10-15 of which showed up, thankfully the difficult ones didn't show up( one was actually in prison and another indicated he had no desire to "see us" LOL). My husband, on the other hand, did not enjoy his as much (he went to a bigger school 100-200 classmates) and his was run by the people who run highschool so he didn't enjoy it as much. If you can manage it, I would probably go~ you can always do as DH did if you aren't enjoying yourself too much~ leave early.
Regarding the weight situation~ I too had trouble losing that last bit of weight while I was nursing~ someone told me your body holds on to it for milk production and I have to say I almost believe it. Try not to be too hard on yourself~ you have had 2 little ones in less than 3 years so it is going to take some time. In case you haven't lost it by reunion time, just buy yourself a nice black dress and maybe a cape (creates an llusion of a slim figure) and try not to worry about it, and enjoy yourself. By the way, I went to the 2nd hubby reunion when A was about 4 months old and I was lactating~ can you imagine how I looked? A big breasted beached whale, but I was so thrilled to be able to get out of the house and actually have adult conversation with someone!! I have found that the spouses at reunions are actually pretty good conversationalists as they feel just as awkward as you do!!
Take care,
Monnie