Monday, November 05, 2007

November

Do you remember how in old movies the passage of time is shown as a the whirling hands on a clock or as the pages of a calendar flipping by in staccato? October went by like that. Supersonic. How is it already November?

November is OK. It's no October, but the month has its charms. The cool weather is lovely, and wearing flannel pajamas is delicious, if not sexy. I don't much care for the shorter days and for getting home after dark, but I do like the smell of wood smoke from neighbors' chimneys and sleeping under a pile of quilts. In November, my impulse is to hunker down and ready myself for the long pause of winter. This November, I'll fight that urge.

Last month, I vowed to lose weight. The baby pounds were getting old, and I felt disgust every time I pulled on my fat pants. My weight loss plan was simple: eat less and exercise more. I stayed away from sweets and tried to take walks whenever I had a few minutes to spare. By October 30th, I had dropped six pounds and was back in my favorite jeans.* Yes, I overindulged a bit around Halloween,** but I'm back on the wagon and I'm hoping to drop another three to four pounds by the end of the month and to be back at my pre-fertility treatment weight by year's end.

As silly as it sounds, my confidence was boosted by being able to reach my weight loss goal. I've had a down year professionally, my three-year-old has started copping serious attitude, and my 14 month old isn't speaking; it's all been a bit much and I've been feeling downright glum, out of control, rudderless. Losing the weight reminded me that I do have some command over my life. And that is a good thing.

I've decided that setting one manageable goal a month may be just the thing to keep my outlook more sunny, which is why I'm declaring November the month of the FROG. For those of you lucky enough not to live in suburban hell, that is Finished Room Over the Garage.

My FROG is the dumping ground for the entire house. It is supposed to be my home office, and indeed, my computer, printer, fax and other office gear are here. But it isn't a peaceful office because there are boxes, scattered paperwork, toys, books, and various odds and ends. It is so disorganized and cluttered that I have put off having the roof fixed because workers would have to pass through the FROG to get to the trusses. For about a year, I've been promising myself that I would clear it out, but I've put it off. It has just seemed too overwhelming.
I'm ready now. By the end of the month, I want this to be a peaceful and organized office/ playroom. My plan is to spend at least 15 minutes every day until I get it in order. I hope that I can chip away at the task bit by bit until I can report mission accomplished.


*OK-they are still a little tight, but it isn't scandalous.
**Chocolate.

2 comments:

Suz said...

Loosing the pregnancy weight was easy-peasy. Loosing the infertility weight?!? YIKES. I like your approach, though, and wish you much luck with the FROG!

AmyinMotown said...

Good for you on the weight loss. It can be SO HARD wth little kids!

As far as E and the 'tude--she's three. It's my understanding this is how they roll. I'm struggling with it with Maggie too. I keep telling myself that it's GOOD that she's independent and smart. Good. Not at all reason to run away from home util she's in kindergarten. Good :).

And you may find the room goes faster than you thought. I started cleaning out our third bedroom/office, which served the same purpose, thinking it would take forever and it has not, at all. I'll just grab a stack of papers or crap and just flip on the TV and file or pitch. I have a deadline, as it's going to be Maggie's new room and the baby will take over hers and I'd like to have her in her new space well before the baby gets here. It's actually been, dare I say it, kinda fun :-).