Tuesday, December 25, 2007

39

That's my age as of today.

My in-laws invited themselves to our house for Christmas so I spent my birthday cooking, cleaning, serving, and cleaning again. I did get a birthday card.

Tonight, I'm tired. And feeling old. I want to go to bed. And yet, I feel like I should continue my practice of using my birthday to reflect upon the previous year and to think about how I would like the next year to unfold.

Here are my wishes from last year with updates:

That I find the will to finish the text. No. But I found the will to pull the plug which was major.

That the publisher is nicer. Sadly, no, she is a rotten flower.


That my daughters are healthy. Yes!


That daycare is more traumatic for me than for Baby M. I think so. She adjusted easily, but overall, I think that I would prefer a nanny if we had the funds.


That E figures out the potty training thing. Yes! She worked this out around 30 months or so.


That J and I have time to reconnect. We need to continue working on this. It has been a rough year, but I think we are doing better.


That I can breastfeed M until she is one or until I feel good about stopping. Yes! I bet my 38-year-old-self would have been surprised to know we would still be doing this.


That I lose the baby weight. Mostly, yes, though I think I have gained weight with this week's baking and feasts!


Peace on Earth. Is it more peaceful this year?


That I become better organized. Woefully, no.

That I keep writing in this space for therapy. Happily, yes.


That fewer hairs show up on my chin. Sigh.


That I give more to worthwhile causes and charities. I could do better.



Here are my wishes for the next year:


That I step up my research efforts.

That I make getting more sleep a priority.

That my girls are healthy.

That I find ways to deal with my children's tantrums without losing my cool.

That J and I continue to work on better communication.

That we have another healthy pregnancy.

That we are able to retire our debt and start saving beyond what we are putting into retirement.

That I work on becoming better organized and home and at work.

That I take time to take care of myself.

That fewer stray hairs show up on my chin and jawline.

That my growing-out hair gets past the awkward stage quickly.

That I see my friends more often.

That I keep writing in this space.








3 comments:

AmyinMotown said...

Happy birthday! And I hope all of those come true for you--looks like you did pretty well last year. I think I'll steal your idea for the new year and post my goals.

(and, another baby? YAY!! My husband thinks we'll be too old after this one to go for three, and I am not even sure I will want to after having a second, but stopping doesn't feel right either. So you're giving me hope that it might even be possible).

Sorry about the inlaws. Any crazy stories? I'll share mine if you share yours!

Nico said...

Lovely post. I hope that all those wishes for this upcoming year DO come true! I think I might be stealing this too. And, happy birthday!

Suz said...

Happy, happy, happy Birthday!