Sunday, July 27, 2008

Reconsideration

Remember when I said that my recent pregnancy would be my last pregnancy no matter what happened? Am I crazy for reconsidering?

Even as I was coming out of anesthesia, I was telling the nurse that I just didn't feel like we were done. In the five days since the D&C, I've been thinking about it a lot, and I'm not sure if I am quite ready to throw in the towel. I posted a message about this on SIRM's bulletin boards, and Dr. S replied that back to back anembryonic pregnancies were bad luck and reflected declining egg quality, but were seldom due to other conditions. He said that 1 in 6 eggs is good in the typical 39 year old so conception is often a matter of catching a golden egg. If that 39 year old ovulates regularly, then she should ovulate a good egg twice a year if she falls on the good side of the odds.

I'm not much of a gambler, but I think we are going to roll the dice a few more times.

3 comments:

Nico said...

I don't think you're crazy for wanting to try for a little while longer. I hope that your next shot does give you that golden egg!

Em said...

Thanks, Nic. I hope we get the golden egg, too. At least I'll be able to say we really, really tried.

Do I remember that you are in Boston? I'm going to be there next weekend (interviewing 18 people for a position-eek!) and I have a question about public tansportation. I'll see if I can formulate the question and then visit your blog.

AmyinMotown said...

Woo! Best of luck. I don't think you're crazy for not being done -- it seems like when you're done, you're done, and if you don't have that feeling, why not keep going?