Friday, October 17, 2008

What have I done?

About two weeks ago, I was approached about directing a somewhat neglected, but potentially important interdisciplinary program. To be polite, I said I would consider it. I checked in with former program directors and current faculty to get a sense of the program's current state, but I decided it would be way too much work to get the program back on track. Rather than turn the deans down with a slacker's "it is too big a job, too hard," I decided to present them with conditions that would be impossible for them to meet, especially in the current economic climate. I asked for a larger director's stipend for myself along with a six hour course release in order to create and supervise an internship program, a 100 percent increase in the operating budget, and extra money for faculty stipends. Today I met with the deans involved and outlined my conditions. I expected them to say, "Thanks, but we don't have the resources." Instead, they became very excited about internship possibilities, community programming and other initiatives I mentioned.

Just call me madame director.

What have I done? Why couldn't I have channeled my inner Miss M and said, "No! I don't want to do it! No, No, No!"?

No comments: