Monday, January 14, 2008

My Little Houdini

To celebrate surviving the first OB appointment--complete with a breast exam, pap smear, internal exam, labs and ultrasound*-- I decided to go buy some fabulous boots. After cooking dinner, bathing the girls, and putting Baby M to bed, I left the house for some serious shopping.

As I was walking into the first shoe store, J called to inform me that Baby M had climbed out of her crib, walked to her door, and started knocking on it like a Jehovah's Witness on a mission. He lowered the crib the last two inches and she repeated her escape act. Another call. Could I please come home? Now?

Bootless, I headed home. By the time I walked through the door, Baby M was asleep in her crib. I asked J how he had managed to settle her down, to which he replied, "Duct tape."

Somehow, given his propensity to use duct tape on, well, everything, this seemed more than slightly plausible. So it was with great trepidation I opened the door to Baby M's room.

This is our crib:





I am happy to report that no duct tape was used. What J did was to turn the crib around so that the lower side is facing the wall and the high side is facing outward into the room. It is only a matter of time before she manages to hoist herself out the sides, but it buys us time to get one of these fancy crib tents:









*Gestational sac spotted; repeat ultrasound in two weeks to look for a fetus and heartbeat.

4 comments:

Nico said...

Congrats on the GS :-) Good start, good start!

Your little miss M is quite impressive! Ant just climbed on the coffee table for the first time today. I think we have a while on the crib. Very smart of J to think of turning it around!

OvaGirl said...

Ooh I think (hope) we have a while on our crib too. That's great news on your tests. But I do think you deserved the boots.

Suz said...

Great news on the ultrasound! And so funny on the crib. My husband says that his very first memory is of climbing out of his own. Thankfully, our boys are not as adventurous.

christine said...

Wow em I have definitely been out to lunch. I leave with you thinking about trying and then...

I won´t freak out on your behalf just yet ...okay well just a little. !!!!