Friday, January 04, 2008

What does it take to get a beta around here?

Little E was conceived on an injectable/ IUI cycle. We tried on our own six months and then had eight months of fertility treatment. Had we not conceived that cycle, we would have moved on to IVF. We started trying for Baby M when little E was six or seven months old. That took eight months. She was conceived naturally, with progesterone support while we were waiting to travel to a high FSH friendly fertility center for IVF.

This time, we tried once. Once. I've read that pregnancy cures infertility, but damn. Once.

While conception was alarmingly easy, getting a beta was a battle. First I called the OB's office at 8:30 a.m. and the receptionist cheerfully took my information and said, "We'll see you February 1."

Having had my first two pregnancies monitored closely by an RE for the first two months, I thought I had missed something. So I asked when my blood work and ultrasounds were happening.

She said, "We don't do anything before eight weeks."

So I asked to speak to a nurse.

Who called me back at 11:30 and said there was no need for a beta as long as the pregnancy was progressing normally.

So I asked how one can tell the pregnancy is progressing normally in the absence of repeat betas and ultrasounds.

She said she would talk to the doctor.

So I reminded her of my thyroid cancer and thyroid replacement and asked that they check my levels to be sure that things are OK there.

She said she would speak to the doctor.

She finally called back at 3:15 and said that I could have my beta and thyroid labs on Monday morning. When I asked why I couldn't have it today, she said that they were closing at 4:00.

I'll be there, I said. And I was. Barely. With a wide-eyed three-year-old in tow.

But now I have to wait until Monday for beta results (and it doesn't sound like there will be repeat betas). So I went to the store and bought six more HPTs.* Just to get me through the weekend.




*I just used one. Line is definitely darker.

5 comments:

Suz said...

I'm glad you got that beta, even though it did take a little teeth-pulling. Yay for darker lines!

Nico said...

Holy smokes Em, when you set a goal you don't delay, do you??? ;-) I am so happy for you, what a wonderful surprise! I hope that your beta is good, and that this can just be a normal old fashioned pregnancy.

AmyinMotown said...

Geez, nothing like checking off that resolution first thing! Go EM!

(and regular OBs versus REs are funny, almost. Mine gave me the "Crazy Patient" look when I demanded a repeat beta and practically harassed them for answers).

OvaGirl said...

Oh Em!!! Wowsers! (As Inspector Gadget used to say)congrats and cheers for double lines.

Nico said...

I hope you're doing okay!!! Let us know when you get a chance, will ya?