Wednesday, July 01, 2009

An experiment

I'm not keeping up with my blog, am I? I blame Facebook, summer, and the countless hours I have spent tracking the folly that is my governor (maybe not for much longer), Mark Sanford. I'm back now, though, big time.

Lately I have been suffering from a severe case of feeling like I'm falling short.

-I snap at my kids too often. The bickering, the whining, and the meltdowns wear me down.

-I don't watch what I eat. Before I had E, I weighed about 113 pounds. After E, I weighed about 116. Now I weigh 126 (as of Monday). I am small framed and the extra weight shows.

-I spend my time at the office inefficiently. I find that I only settle into my work after several hours of reading, chatting in the hall, walking around campus, etc.

-I don't converse with my husband enough. It seems like every conversation is about children or dogs these days. "Did she just have another accident?" "How long are dogs supposed to live anyway?"

-I don't exercise regularly. I have exercise equipment. I have running shoes. I lack willpower.

-My teeth are dingy thanks to my caffeine habit. I am lazy about bleaching them

-My hair isn't shiny. This, I think is due mostly to age, but still.

-My skin is dull. Age and sun damage.

-My car is dirty. No excuses here. I need to go to the carwash.

-I don't like my dogs enough. In the last month, we (and by we, I mean J) have spent approximately $1000 on our 11 and 16 year old dogs. I'm not feeling the love.

-My garden is neglected. No excuses.

-My house is dusty.

-I don't call my friends often enough. Why is this so hard?

I declare July the month of being better. *Me* being better.

Surely I can do better. Right? This will be the month of daily weigh-ins, teeth bleaching, counting to ten before I respond to whiny children, trips to the gym, facial peels, and deep cleaning. Each day, I'll post an update on my progress or lack thereof. Let the experiment begin.

3 comments:

Bittermama said...

hey! a post! typing 1 handed now and running on no sleep, but must find you on fb. email me? also thinking freqently about how much longer dog will live.

Nico said...

I SO hear you on snapping at the kids. Let me know if the counting to ten thing works!

Nice to hear from you, btw!

Em said...

Hi! Nic and L!

So good to see you again and finally catch up via blogs.

Congrats, L. I can't believe she is already here. I would love to find you on FB. What is your email? I'm leaving my real email address on a comment on your blog. Can you see that? Note: My name is not really Em. : )

Nic! How are you? The counting to ten thing helped today, but it hard.