Sunday, August 19, 2007

Juggling

Can my year long break from the classroom be ending? Can my baby be two days from her first birthday? Can little E be starting preschool? Already? Really? That went too fast. I wish I could slow time down just a little and linger. Of course, slowing down and lingering would just make me feel a little sadder/ more nostalgic than I already do so maybe that isn't a good idea.

It occurred to me tonight, as I was baking cupcakes, that the last time I was teaching, I had a nanny.* When we had a nanny, I didn't have to worry about corralling children, dressing children or dropping off children; didn't have to worry about tidying up after breakfast (the nanny did some light housework); and often didn't have to cook because the nanny, a culinary school graduate, loved to cook during E's naps. I was spoiled. Broke, but spoiled.

I am hoping to fall into a routine that works for all of us, but I am guessing that keeping the balls in the air is going to get intense. My working plan is to do as much in advance as is practical and to be as organized as possible. Toward these ends, I've baked and frozen the cupcakes for M's nursery party three days early, I've created a menu and done the weekly grocery shopping, I've laid out outfits for the girls and me, and I've assembled M's school bag a few days in advance. I am sure there is more I could be doing for preparation, but at least it is something.

On the bright side, I've made a good bit of progress on my list. Of course, I'll still be scrambling this week.

  • Decide on schedule for practicum
  • Determine grading scheme for practicum
  • Put practicum readings together in WebCT
  • Put practicum project handout together
  • Test software in lab
  • Write lab exercises that utilize software
  • Write first week of lectures for practicum I have these planned, but not written
  • Put finishing touches on social issues syllabus
  • Determine grading scale for social issues
  • Investigate pedagogical implications of requiring student blogs in social issues
  • Find a peanut-free food that E will be able to carry for lunch at new school
  • Get E’s hair trimmed S
  • Get my hair trimmed and brows waxed Have made appointment for hair
  • Meet grad student about our neglected project
  • Get pedicure Perhaps this will be a treat after surviving the first week of classes
  • Call electrician about the short in living room overhead light
  • Lose five pounds Working on it! Less chocolate and more exercise!
  • Try on my professional clothes to determine what will fit until I lose five pounds
  • Keep trying to wean
  • Determine guest list for joint birthday party
  • Order invitations
  • Order cake
  • Start running
  • Keep running
  • Update college web page to reflect office hours
  • Find out when my faculty committees/ department meetings are scheduled
  • Bake something to take to Baby M’s nursery the day of her actual birthday
  • Throw away student tests that are more than three years old (we are required to keep work for three years)
  • Put together WebCT pages for social issues
  • Find shoes for Baby M
  • Find out if I am already president of state association (the fact that I don’t know if my term has begun is embarrassing)
  • Get email list for April 2008 conference I am organizing; talk to last year’s organizer
  • Set up state association web site
  • Get E's immunization records
*I've been on maternity leave or sabbatical leave since last May. E started daycare last June. The transition to daycare was eased by my flexibility during maternity and sabbatical leaves.

1 comment:

Nico said...

I am *so* impressed at your progress on this list!!!