Friday, November 11, 2005

On the bright side, I love our nanny.

While the last few weeks have been difficult, and I am continuing to struggle with the concept of potentially never having another child, I feel it is worth mentioning a bright spot, Nanny S.

We have tried a number of childcare arrangements, some more disastrous than others. A few weeks ago, a bad situation came to a head, and I had to scramble to find care. Our current arrangement seems to be working. Breaking the bank. But working.

[Honestly, we don't earn enough for a nanny. However, I did not know to register Baby E. for a reputable child development center when she was just two lines on a stick. We have a spot for May 2006. Until then, we shall continue to pretend to be members of the bourgeoisie.]

One of the new nannies (they split the week) went to cooking school. Somehow while Baby E naps for two hours, Nanny S. manages to cook entire meals using things she finds in our refrigerator and pantry. I looked at the pantry and fridge this morning and thought, "Ah well, there is truly nothing she can fix this time." Wrong! She made corn chowder, cornbread (with a hint of cheddar), and shortbread cookies with strawberry glaze. Did I mention she used ingredients we already had? This is like the best party trick ever. I can't cook a meal unless I make a special trip to the store-- and even then I forget key ingredients and resort to cereal. Again.

For the record, she is not required to cook or clean. She said she gets bored waiting for Baby E to get up. Who am I to let her get bored?

Did I mention that she folded the laundry that I left running in the dryer today? This is almost like having a wife.

Baby E. likes her too.

3 comments:

Bittermama said...

Em! I didn't realize you were from the 2,3,4 board. I'm so glad to see a new secondary IF blog. I'll put up a link on my blog as soon as I get a chance.

Em said...

Thank you, Lindy. I think that will be the first time I have been linked! I just figured out how to add links to this blog yesterday--I am such a goofy newbie!

I have been lurking for a little while, but I have enjoyed your blog very much. Congrats to you! I know you will feel apprehensive until you have your betas drawn, but it sounds great.

chris said...

Wow. I can't imagine having a kid who naps, much less someone who cooks.