Sunday, January 28, 2007

Exercise Gives Me Hives

Really. It sounds like a bad excuse to get out of eighth grade gym, doesn't it?

I have exercise induced asthma and exercise induced urticaria. The former is treated with albuterol and the latter is treated with antihistamines (right now Claritin because of breastfeeding, but Zyrtec works best). Unfortunately, I took neither before leaving the house this morning. I'm not sure what I was thinking other than, "I need to get out now before someone needs me."

My lungs didn't get too bad, but about four minutes into my walk, I felt the familiar creepy crawly sensation on my torso and before long the itch had spread down my legs all the way to the soles of my feet. Misery, I tell you.

I pressed on, but I took a shorter walk than originally planned. Still, I logged 5000 steps on my pedometer, which beats the zero I would have logged otherwise. Tomorrow I will take Claritin and albuterol in advance of my departure.

Despite the minor setback, I'm excited to get moving again.

No comments: